Friday, January 11, 2013

The Fat Kid AKA Twinkies for Brains

Do you remember growing up and having crushes? It was all so innocent and sweet and you would die from embarrassment if your crush ever found out you were crushing? Unless you were one of the cool, popular, good looking kids and then you would be all like "Yeah babe, I got a crush on you... So how bout we meet up at the swings later?" To which if they got rejected it would be like the Cold War. That's not how it was for me. I grew up being the fat kid, the goody-goody, with straight A's band geek. No boys ever had a crush on me and I was always too embarrassed to let anyone know if I had a crush. I was called "twinkies for brains", "Mrs. Chubs" (that was given by my mother), "fatty", and other cruel names kids can come up with. This went on into High School and I was always so envious of the pretty, popular, skinny girls. They had guys begging at their feet, where as I couldn't get a simple second look. They knew they looked good so they treated people like shit and made fun of others, such as me. Let's just say the school years weren't my best years, at least until I blossomed. Once I "blossomed" boys were eating their words. They were asking me out, compliment me, and wanting me. Just like I had always wanted them to but I couldn't forget the years of cruel words and rocks being thrown at me and being made fun of. 
Now, I'm an adult and I can't help but wonder if those cruel words those kids said to me and always making fun of me are the reasons that they once "popular, pretty, skinny" ones are now fat, not so pretty, and not so popular. But being adults people aren't going around calling them "twinkies for brains" or any of that such. Is this karma working? Am I the only one to notice this? It seems all those who were popular growing up and envied so much are now the ones doing the envying of those who weren't so popular growing up. Sometimes though, just because people grow older doesn't mean they grow up. My daughter is following in my footsteps and my heart aches for her. She's taller than I was but she is built just like I was growing up, chubby. Kids have made fun of her but even worse ADULTS have! One female in particular went so far as insulting my daughter when I was getting a divorce. She emailed me to make fun of my failed marriage and ended the email with "BTW how fat is AJ now?". I could kill a bitch!! Who says that about a child? Only cruel mean people. I assure my daughter everyday that she is beautiful but because of kids she's only 7 and is worried about losing weigh, she wants to get skinny. It hurts my heart to know that she is hurting. One day she will blossom, just as her momma did, and all these mean kids will be eating their cruel words. It's funny how life works that way. You can be at the peak of your life as a child or not reach it until an adult. I look back and remember those years but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was once the Ugly Duckling and as the story goes I transformed into a beautiful Swan. Now I have to watch my daughter go through this and don't know how to help her. One day she too will blossom but society today has brainwashed society into thinking that skinny=pretty. What happened to the days when the sex icons were women like Marilyn Monroe who had curves! Curves are sexy! 

1 comment:

  1. I know all to well the feeling of the pain and hurt growing up not being one of the "in" crowd. Of being the fat kid everyone always made fun of. The one that still has to deal with those kinda of jokes even today at the age of 32. They have hurt me time and time again but while they have hurt me they have made me stronger for it.While I may never be one of the "cool kids" I still take their insults and throw them back in their faces by being happy even though I am still that ugly duckling lol.

    ReplyDelete